In addition to their traditional education, Certified Hand Therapists have successfully passed a comprehensive test of advanced clinical skills and theory in upper extremity rehabilitation. At Mady and Mules and Howard County Physical Therapy, we have a certified hand therapist on staff who is an expert in the highly specialized treatments required for the rehabilitation of advanced hand and upper extremity diagnoses.
Certified Hand Therapists treat a variety of post-surgical and post-traumatic injuries including tendon repairs, burns, fractures, dislocations and revascularizations. They can also address degenerative disorders or repetitive use injuries such as osteoarthritis and tendonitis.
Goals of Hand Therapy
After a comprehensive evaluation, your Certified Hand Physical Therapist will establish an individualized treatment program in order to meet your personal goals, regain optimal function and improve your quality of life. They will provide education and instruction in adaptive techniques, joint protection, activity modification and home exercise program to prevent the reoccurrence of injury.
Clinical Services Provided
- Custom dynamic and static splint fabrication
- Management of acute or chronic pain
- Wound Care and scar management
- Control of hypertrophic (raised and swollen) or hypersensitive scars
- Sensory reeducation after nerve injury
- Reduction of swelling
- Exercise programs to restore motion, strength, fine and gross motor coordination
- Training in daily life activities (using adaptive equipment or methods if needed)
- Instruction of home exercise program